Katarina, A Style Journey
(Affiliate) Amsterdam has never been on my must-see list, but is officially one of my favorite weekend-getaway cities! Growing food scene, great shopping (including vintage!) and just in general the casual vibe, biking around without the pressure to see hundreds of attractions on every single corner.
Travel with us to Amsterdam…
WHERE TO STAY
We stayed at Conscious Hotel Westerpark, perfectly located in the gorgeous Westerpark – a stone’s throw from the city centrum. So close that you can walk or bike to the attractions yet enough isolated from the city ‘chaos’.
And no, this is not a all hippy spot, given the name. The Conscious Hotels strive to be as green, sustainable and eco-friendly as possible, but you won’t even notice some of their sustainable decisions because they’re being kind to the planet in the background of their clean and minimalistic design.
Book Conscious Hotel Westerpark HERE.
My absolute favorite spot in the city for a late breakfast/lunch is Toki. Do not leave the city without hanging out in this perfectly designed café, that probably serves the best breakfast as well as coffees and cakes!
Besides Toki, Screaming Beans really knows their coffee. So does Locals Coffee.
LOW BLOOD SUGAR
Left: Cafe Restaurant and right: Foodhallen
1. FOODHALLEN: If you can’t find anything you like at Foodhallen you’re simply just not in the food-mood. Amsterdam’s food hall has everything from juicy burgers and tacos to dumplings (which I Loved! Try one of their mixed boxes) and meze.
And do NOT miss out on the G&T bar!
2. DE JAPANNER: Make sure to reserve a table at this Japanese favorite! Taste a bit of everything, including the drinks.
3. BAZAR: Eat super tasty (and enormous) plates from the Middle East and North Africa in bazar surroundings. AND the prices are pretty good as well.
4. CAFE RESTAURANT: Brasserie style dishes served in a restored pump house near Westerpark. Just as good for a quick lunch as it is for a dinner with friends.
5. LA PERLA: In the mood for some Pizza? We’re always in the mood – as long as it’s good! And the one at La Perla is said to be the best one. Not to mention the simple yet cozy and casual corner spot.
WHERE TO DRINK
Since we’re not the that party-people anymore, we prefer them bars, and there are some bars really worth visiting while in Amster. Our favorite though is Glou Glou. Amazing atmosphere and even better wine!
WHERE TO SHOP
The shopping scene in Amsterdam will definitely surprise. Besides the giant malls as Magna Plaza and De Bijenkorf, and the classic shopping streets Kalverstraat (high-street) and PC Hooftstraat (high-end), these ones are worth the visit:
FASHION: Van Ravenstein and X-Bank.
VINTAGE: Episode, Rumors Vintage, Marbles Vintage, Bis Vintage, La Doyenne Vintage and L’Étoile de Saint Honoré.
BEAUTY: Skins cosmetics.
INTERIOR: Droog and Mooi.
FLEA MARKETS: Albert Cuyp Market and Waterlooplein.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 5 Must-visit Amsterdam Vintage Stores
Left: Botanical Garden
WHAT TO SEE
Besides all the beautiful streets and canals while biking, these 5 spots are musts:
1. THE RIJKSMUSEUM
2. VAN GOGH MUSEUM
3. VONDELPARK STROLL
4. VAN LOON MUSEUMV
5. BOTANICAL GARDEN
Bike by the canals at night. From pre-dinner drinks to dinner to a late night walk in the park and back home. You’ll understand why.